Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Reading


Ahh, summertime reading! Is there anything sweeter than being truly indulgent with your book choices? For students, summer is a time when you can take a little break & read something light & mindless. One summer I read Jacqueline Susann’s Valley of the Dolls pool-side while on vacation in southern California. Sheer bliss! For those of us who don’t have assigned reading to distract us from our personal to-read pile, the sky’s the limit! What I like to do to coincide my summer reading stack with the season is to read a combination of the following genre of book:

1. The gigantic, potentially challenging, but definitely engrossing novel.
2. The possibly scandalous autobiography/biography.
3. The indulgent paperback.

My to-read stack this summer includes George R.R. Martin’s A Song Of Ice and Fire series & the following novels & memoirs.

Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Just Kids by Patti Smith
 
Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis

cross-posted to That Obscure Object

1 comment:

  1. ...yeah except Infinite Jest takes about 9000 summers to read. I've had my three strikes on that doorstop, now I just admit that it beat me!

    ReplyDelete